Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Calgary businessman who paid $ 1 million to molest an ex-girlfriend who was sentenced to 3 years in prison

Wealthy Calgary businessman Ken Carter is jailed eight years after paying a company $ 1 million to harass his ex-girlfriend with the aim of terrorizing her, giving him her child during a bitter breakup and give custody battles.

On Tuesday, Glen Poelmam, Justice of the Queen’s Bench, sentenced Carter to three years in prison.

Carter will appeal his verdict and conviction, according to defense attorney Gavin Wolch, who says his client will also apply for bail pending appeal.

Carter, 59, was convicted of criminal harassment in 2018. Two retired Calgary Police Service employees and three current and former officers have been convicted of various crimes related to the prosecution of Akele Taylor.

Taylor’s harassment “went beyond a parent who had legitimate concerns about the welfare, custody and access to a child,” Poelman said of the Carter conviction.

Poelman also pointed out that Carter has continued to portray himself as a victim in the case and has yet to acknowledge the harm he has done to Taylor, who had a legitimate fear for her safety.

In August 2012, Taylor and Carter separated shortly after their daughter was born.

Carter then hired retired CPS drug expert Steve Walton and his wife Heather, who ran an unlicensed private investigation firm, to track down and harass Taylor.

The Waltons staff included current and former police officers. Their tactic has been to pay officers to search internal CPS databases for information that will aid them in their harassment campaign.

Carter’s attorney argued that he was motivated by fear that his daughter was in danger because he thought Taylor was an unsuitable parent.

Former Calgary Police Service employees Heather and Steve Walton were convicted in the harassment case involving Ken Carter and CPS officers. (Meghan Grant / CBC)

But text messages between Carter and the Waltons reveal a different motive.

Carter repeatedly referred to Taylor as “the reptile”. He said he wanted to “push them over the edge” and “create a black hole so powerful it will be forgotten”.

“These communications do not indicate fear,” said Poelman. Rather, they show that Carter had an animus towards Taylor.

“He did not acknowledge that he was the perpetrator and that Ms. Taylor was the victim of his actions.”

Weeks before the trial, Taylor disappeared and never testified against Carter despite Canadian warrants being issued. She told the detective in charge that she didn’t want to see Carter convicted again.

Carter was sentenced almost two years after his conviction for traveling to Russia and missing three scheduled hearings following his guilt and hospitalization.

In his judgment, Wolch said his client suffered from heart problems, anxiety and stress and should not be exposed to any further risk in a group life situation.

Wolch asked the judge to consider allowing Carter to serve his sentence at home.

Prosecutor Katherine Love had suggested a four to five year prison sentence to Carter.

Bryan Morton, Brad McNish and Tony Braile have all been convicted of corruption offenses related to the harassment and persecution of Akele Taylor. (Meghan Grant / CBC)

Heather Walton was convicted of bribing an officer, while her husband was found guilty of the same charge and criminal harassment.

In October, Steve Walton was sentenced to three years in prison while Heather Walton was given a 15-month sentence to serve in the community under strict conditions including 24-hour house arrest.

In April 2018, current and former CPS officers Bryan Morton, Brad McNish and Tony Braile were convicted of corruption offenses.

Morton was sentenced to 30 months in prison while McNish received a six month prison term. Anthony Braile was also convicted, but was sentenced to 90 days in prison for weekend service.

Comments are closed.