In his previous speeches, Duterte has expressed his preference for a Sinopharm vaccine. (File: ROBINSON NIÑAL JR./PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO)
MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte received his first shot of a Covid-19 vaccine developed by the Chinese state-owned pharmaceutical company Sinopharm on Monday evening.
Senator Christopher “Bong” Go went live on Facebook to show Duterte being vaccinated with Sinopharm. He was vaccinated by Minister of Health Francisco Duque III.
“I feel good. I expected this vaccination a long time ago,” said Duterte in the livestream on Go’s Facebook page.
Duterte said it took his doctor “a long time” to assess which brand of vaccine to get.
“I am vaccinated with Sinopharm,” he added.
In a separate statement, President’s spokesman Harry Roque said Duterte’s first dose was covered by the Compassionate Use Permit the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted the Presidential Security Group (PSG) hospital.
In his previous speeches, Duterte has expressed his preference for a Sinopharm vaccine.
The palace previously denied rumors that Duterte had already been given a Covid-19 vaccine.
The PSG admitted to vaccinating some of its members with Sinopharm in September and October 2020.
Although Duterte initially wanted to do this privately, he agreed to be publicly vaccinated against Covid-19 in order to strengthen Filipinos’ trust in vaccines.
He previously said he was willing to forego his vaccine slot for Covid-19, but Malacañang said his “personal beliefs” could change if more vaccine supplies hit the country.
China approved the Sinopharm vaccine to the general public last December after the developer said the vaccine had 79.34 percent efficacy based on an interim analysis of late-stage clinical trials.
On March 1, Roque said Sinopharm had filed an application with the Philippines FDA for Emergency Use (EUA) approval for its vaccines.
The FDA said it has not yet received all of the required documents to conduct a full review of Sinopharm vaccines.