The federal government says a ban on cruise lines in Canadian waters will remain in place for another year.
The ban until February 28, 2022 applies to cruise ships with more than 100 people and to pleasure craft in the Arctic, with the exception of those used by residents of the region.
The ban, originally enacted last year, was due to expire at the end of February.
A press release from Transport Minister Omar Alghabra said the ban is necessary to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect vulnerable communities.
We apologize, but this video could not be loaded.
He also says it will allow public health officials to focus on pressing issues like the introduction of the COVID-19 vaccine and new variants of the virus.
The publication also urges Canadians to avoid traveling on cruise lines elsewhere.