It’s been a little over a week, but the Calgary City Fire Pit pilot appears to be a success.
The city installed a number of fire pits across the city last week to help residents comply with new social gathering restrictions to help curb the spread of COVID-19 in Alberta.
These fire pits can be used on weekends and weekdays from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The City of Calgary website states that while anyone can use them, those who have booked them and got a permit will have priority.
A recent notice from the city said the fire pits have received over 900 booking requests in the past two weeks.
“Bookings can be made a week in advance, but we’re working on a faster system due to high demand,” the release notes read.
The city’s website shows that all fire pits are fully booked for the coming weekend (December 4-6), but bookings are currently being made for the weekend of December 11-13.
Booking the sites is free and can be done on the city’s website. Once booked, Calgarians can enjoy an outdoor fire with two hours of free firewood for anyone with a permit.
You can also bring your own firewood and burn it, even if you do not have a permit.
The bookable times for all campfire sites are from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m., from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Here are the locations of the fireplace:
- Collingwood Park without a Leash – 1823 John Laurie Boulevard NW
- Country Hills Park – 529 Country Hills Drive NW
- Crescent Heights Park – 201 2nd Street NW
- Hillhurst – Riley Park – 800 12th Street NW
- Sunnyside – 625 3rd Avenue NW
- Great Marlborough Park – 6021 Madigan Drive NE
- Bridgeland Plaza – 912 General Avenue NE
- Taradale – Manmeet Singh Bhullar Park – 7306 64th Avenue NE
- Spruce Cliff – Cedar Crescent Park – 411 Cedar Crescent SW
- Evergreen Park – 1611 Evergreen Drive SW
- Meadowlark Park 0 20 MacKay Drive SW
- Copperfield Park – 41 Copperfield Pt. SE
Those who want to enjoy a fire must bring their own equipment, including fire starters, roasting bars, chairs, etc.
Alcohol is not allowed, but hot chocolate is definitely.