Travelers arriving in Canada by air will face new requirements starting February 21, including a mandatory 3-day stay in a government-authorized hotel upon landing.
Calgary hotels that have been certified as government authorized include the Acclaim Hotel and the Marriott Calgary Airport.
Note that the current list of hotels is incomplete and will be completed in the coming days.
These hotels are generally intended for people who have no symptoms, have a negative COVID-19 test result prior to departure, and are not in close contact with anyone who has or may have COVID-19. They are designed to accommodate travelers while they wait for their arrival test results.
Hotel stopovers are managed by American Express Global Business Travel and are only available by phone.
The Government of Canada website states that when booking, travelers can select from the list of authorized hotels and will be asked to provide:
- Name (s) of the traveler
- Date of birth (s)
- Place of arrival and date
- Payment Information
- Special requests and accessibility concerns
- Pet information
The cost of the stay is expected to be approximately $ 2,000. However, this may vary depending on your location. This includes the costs associated with the room, food, safety, transportation, and measures to prevent and control infections.
Travelers are allowed to drive themselves to one of the government approved hotels if their private vehicle is within walking distance of one of the airport parking lots. Otherwise, travelers can take a designated shuttle bus to the government-authorized hotels or a taxi or limousine.
Beginning February 21 at 11:59 p.m. ET, in addition to showing evidence of a negative COVID-19 molecular test performed up to 72 hours prior to their scheduled departure time, travelers must:
- Reserve a government-authorized hotel for 3 nights prior to your departure to Canada
- When you arrive in Canada, take a COVID-19 molecular test
- Stay at the government authorized hotel and wait for the results of the COVID-19 molecular test done on arrival and pay for the hotel stay and related expenses
- Do another COVID-19 molecular test later during the 14-day quarantine (test kit and instructions will be provided before leaving the airport).
To book your mandatory 3-night hotel layover, call 1-800-294-8253.